Dr. Martina Melzer, published: 07/16/2022
Sophie Helbig - a German living in England - was 4 years old when her symptoms started. Mainly pain and swollen feet. The first visits to doctors followed. At the
age of 11, she was diagnosed with juvenile fibromyalgia. She was almost bedridden at the time. During her teenage years, the symptoms temporarily improved before becoming more severe again in her
early 20s. At the age of 27 the fatigue worsened too. She says she was "functional" for a maximum of three hours a day.
Listen to her story, what all helped her, and key messages for people with fibromyalgia, ME/CFS, and similar syndromes in the video interview. The video is in German. To watch in other languages, please go to settings button, activate subtitle, go back to it and choose language!
Spotify and Anchor (German):
Key recovery points from the video:
- A stay in Lanzarote abruptly improved her fibromyalgia, but the pain returned when she returned home to Germany.
- Conventional therapies and conventional medicine did not help her.
- She got her allergies under control with bioresonance therapy.
- Vegan diet: changing her diet to vegan significantly improved her pain and was the first breakthrough in her healing journey. However, she made some mistakes along the way. She drinks a daily protein vitamin shake called Huel.
- Mindset and psyche: 2 years of psychotherapy helped her to process some things. Sophie says the psyche plays a huge role in disease management and healing. You need hope, you need to do a lot of self-reflection and ask yourself uncomfortable questions, you need to really want to get better and visualize health. No matter how bad we feel, "we always have a psychological strength," she says.
- A colon cleanse helped her a little.
- Kambo: This shamanic healing method with frog poison cured her. Sophie felt like a different person, full of energy, powerful, without pain – immediately afterwards. Almost a miracle cure. She emphasizes that the method is not suitable for everyone. I add: weigh the benefits and risks thoroughly and find a suitable therapist! Sophie interviewed a Kambo expert from England, if Kambo interests you more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMuLRWMb9c0
- She defines recovery as "free from symptoms and the fear of relapse."
- Her message: when you are at the very beginning of your recovery journey, create the framework to focus on your healing. Take the "reins." Reflect on what is important in your life and what you need to change, among other things. Also important: Sophie did a master's thesis on ME/CFS and partner dynamics in recovered people. Supportive partners played a big role in healing.
Sophie would like to write a play about a person with fibromyalgia or ME/CFS. She would need your input. Why not take part in this little
Here's how to find Sophie Helbig and contact her:
Important: The content on this page is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for talking to your doctor or other therapist. The content reflects my personal experiences, research and findings that have helped me and that I therefore want to share. However, in your personal case, completely different things may play a role and other things may help. Please talk to your doctor or therapist before making any decisions that affect your physical or mental health. Also important: I don't want to convince anyone of anything here. Rather, I want to point out possible ways that hopefully can help some people to improve or overcome their ME/CFS or other syndromes. In this interview, this also applies to Sophie Helbig.